We understand . . . you don’t want to take the time to request a quote if our services (as low-priced as they are) would still exceed your book’s budget. So listed below are the prices we charged for a range of other projects. Your particular project may cost more or it may cost less, but this will give you a general idea of the fees involved.
Our fees for interior page layout and formatting over the past year have ranged from $92 (for a relatively simple workbook) to $460 (for a 130,000-word guidebook with 48 photos). The following are factors in the prices we quote for interior layout:
- Is the book interior to be in full color or black-and-white?
- Will the book’s pages have standard formatting, or are there unusual/complex design elements required?
- How many unique page headers/footers will there be?
- How many total words in the manuscript?
- How many footnotes/endnotes?
- How many foreign words, math/science formula, special typographic symbols, objects in bold/italic text, etc.?
- How many images or other non-text objects?
- Are the images/objects ready to be placed in the page layout, or are size/color/resolution corrections needed?
- How much typographical “clean-up” does the text require (hidden characters, html glyphs, etc. that must be removed)?
- Is the file being submitted to CreateSpace, or does it need to meet another printer’s custom specifications?
Our fees for book cover design have ranged from $37 (for a collaborative cover where the author provided the concept and supplied the photos) to $368 for a custom cover with original artwork and multiple design approval stages.
An interior DIY layout pre-review (where we check the do-it-yourself author’s Word setup for technical and design problems before he/she does the whole thing incorrectly) has normally cost from $10 to $20 (depending on whether the book is black-and-white or color, bleed or no-bleed, etc.).
The fee for converting an author’s interior or cover design to a print-ready PDF file for submission to CreateSpace is typically around $8 (but if the source file contains problems that must be corrected first, an additional fee may be quoted). This service includes preflight testing (the same pre-press tests that CreateSpace and Lightning Source run when you submit a PDF for review and approval).
If you prepare your own print-ready PDF file and want us to run it through the preflight tests before you submit it to CreateSpace, the cost is usually under $5 (if you make changes to correct problems, we provide one additional preflight check at no additional charge).
Self-publishing authors often have backlist titles that are already professionally typeset and in PDF format - yet do not comply with CreateSpace requirements. We are Adobe Acrobat experts, and can troubleshoot or repurpose your PDF for CreateSpace publication. Fees are typically around $50 to $80 (much less than redesigning the book).
The fees for mechanical editing (aka, copy editing and proofreading) average $0.01/word.
Our Kindle conversion fees have ranged from $48 to $190 (the ones with higher fees had multiple charts, diagrams, or other images requiring special formatting, and included more go-to/navigation points than the average ebook).
Again, we’ll be happy to discuss your specific project and provide a quote.